Pennies from Heaven

Our wonderful neighbors gave us two 5-lb bags of carrots after an online order snafu. So I pulled out the carrot recipes! I made my carrot soup, cut up a lot of carrots to eat with hummus, and made this old recipe from The New Basics cookbook that I haven't made for years - slightly adapted to be a little less sweet. I didn't have slivered almonds handy so I pulsed some whole almonds in the food processor and toasted them. I also made a new carrot walnut muffin recipe.


Ingredients
10 carrots, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
4 T margarine (earth balance)
2 T fresh orange juice
15 dried apricots, slivered
1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
salt and pepper to taste.

Instructions
Bring carrots to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer 10 minutes. Rinse under cold water and drain.

Stir the sugar and cinnamon together and set aside. Melt the margarin and stir in the carrots and orange juice. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon mixture and cook over medium heat until the carrots are glazed and the sauce is slightly thickened, 5 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir in the apricots and almonds, and cook until heated through, 5 minutes. Serve!

Popular posts from this blog

Zucchini Mushroom Quiche with Red Pepper Relish

Blood Orange Chocolate Olive Oil Cake

Za’atar Roasted Tofu with Chickpeas, Tomatoes and Tahini