Carrot Walnut Muffins

Given our abundance of carrots, I decided to tweak my zucchini walnut bread recipe to make carrot muffins. I borrowed some ideas from the Carrot-Raisin muffin in Vegan with a Vengeance, replacing raisins with walnuts and tweaking other ingredients a bit. It has less oil, sugar, and flour than my zucchini walnut bread, and adds almond milk, nutmeg, and (optionally) coconut. I also saw a recipe for carrot cake that used pecans, coconut, and pineapple... reminder to self to try adding pineapple sometime. Note: The first time I made this I used 1/2 C sugar and 1/2 C oil. They were delish. I tried reducing both to 1/4 C, and I think next time I'll do 1/3 C (just right?)

Ingredients

Dry:
2 C whole wheat flour
1/3 C sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt

Wet:
1 1/4 C almond or soy milk
1/3 cup canola oil
1 tsp vanilla

1/2 cup walnut pieces (or try pecans)
2 1/2 to 3 cups shredded carrot
1/4 cup shredded coconut (optional)

Instructions
Mix dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients and mix. Add in carrot, walnut pieces, and coconut, and mix. Pour in silicone muffin cups and bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.

Popular posts from this blog

Zucchini Mushroom Quiche with Red Pepper Relish

Blood Orange Chocolate Olive Oil Cake

Za’atar Roasted Tofu with Chickpeas, Tomatoes and Tahini