Best Beet Burgers

I've tried to make beet burgers a few times, with just so-so results. Often they're too soft and just not as tasty as I hoped. But for Labor Day this year, I finally did mashup of a couple of different recipes, and it was delish. I learned a lot from this Ultimate Veggie Burger recipe -- how you can swap in and out various vegetables and grains, for example -- and crossed this Amazing Beet Burger recipe with my other favorite Double Double burgers from Chloe. I think what made this mashup a winner was roasting the beets (don't buy them pre-cooked!) and adding mushrooms (yum). I also think that for the grain, tempeh is much tastier than the rice many recipes call for.

Ingredients

2 T canola oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped

1 pound trimmed, scrubbed beets, roasted
8 oz mushrooms, quartered

1/2 cup flour
1 cup walnuts, toasted
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground pepper

1 8 oz TJ package tempeh, steamed (optional - we did this with Cyndy and it was good)

avocado (sliced) for topping

Instructions
Tightly wrap beets in foil and roast in the oven (can do the day before) for about 45 minutes at 400 degrees. Let cool.

I waited to long (a month later) to write this down, and now I don't remember if (like Chloe's recipe), I used tempeh in this recipe when I created it! I did this recipe later with Cyndy and we did add tempeh, and it was good. If you want to add tempeh, steam it for 5 minutes, in microwave steamer or on the stove, and let cool.

Saute onion and mushrooms in oil until lightly brown; add garlic and saute a couple more minutes. Take off stove and let cool.

Toast walnuts. Mix dry ingredients (flour, basil, salt, pepper) in bowl.

Mix all burger ingredients in food processor in 2 batches. Pulse until coarsely ground. It's crazy how much this looks like hamburger when it's mixed up.

Form mixture into patties in the palm of your hand. Fry or bbq 5-10 minutes on each side until browned on both sides. (If used oil, remove and drain on paper towels.)







Chloe's burgers and beet burgers side by side!

And Field Roast Italian sausage with roasted pepper and onion, if you just don't feel like a burger.

Popular posts from this blog

Blood Orange Chocolate Olive Oil Cake

Za’atar Roasted Tofu with Chickpeas, Tomatoes and Tahini

Zucchini Mushroom Quiche with Red Pepper Relish