Jeff's Flavorful Favas

My brother Jeff gave me a couple bags of dried fava beans this weekend. He gets them at his local farmers market. I soaked, boiled, and then sautéed them with some garlic and pepper. It was good, but needed something. Then I remembered that Jeff made a yummy fava dish a few months ago in Nebraska. So I called him up to ask what all he put in it. "Tomatoes and onion really go well with favas," he said. I had some chard in the back yard; how about that, too? "That's great, chop it up well!" And so I did. Later: "Didn't chopping the greens change everything? I think chopping releases more flavor and improves the texture." Yes, it does! It was delicious.

Next: reminder to self to try this Portugese Fava recipe (sans chorizo or with vegan chorizo).

Ingredients
fava beans
onion, chopped
tomatoes (1 can, or a few romas)
chard or kale, chopped
garlic to taste
olive oil
cayenne pepper
salt
other spices to taste

Instructions
If using dried favas, soak them over night, rinse, bring to a boil, and simmer 45 minutes. (I leave the shell on.) Jeff says save the broth and use it in the saute; I had already drained the beans when I asked him, so I missed that.

Saute the onion in a little oil until translucent. Add tomatoes and greens, and a little fava broth or water if it needs it. Add garlic and spices and stir well. Add favas and let it all cook on low for a bit (15-20 minutes?) until all the ingredients kinda become one.

Serve over rice. Yum! And OMG healthy.



Dried fava beans

Popular posts from this blog

Blood Orange Chocolate Olive Oil Cake

Zucchini Mushroom Quiche with Red Pepper Relish

Za’atar Roasted Tofu with Chickpeas, Tomatoes and Tahini