Overnight Steel Cut Oatmeal

A wonderful chocolate oatmeal, or make it plain with maple and brown sugar. I found the chocolate version first, on Happy Healthy, and made up the plain version when I needed a change. Both are wonderful with berries on top. I add walnuts and chia to the chocolate version, and flax seeds to the maple and brown sugar version. I also tend to use more water and less almond milk for the plain version. Sometimes I make extra and freeze muffin-size portions like Trader Joes does, to microwave during the week.

Ingredients
1 cup steel-cut oats
2 cups water
3 cups vanilla almond milk*
2 T maple syrup

Chocolate version: 
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder 

Plain version:
2 T brown sugar
*I use more water, less almond milk here

Toppings:
Berries (Strawberries, blueberries, etc.)
Walnuts
Chia seeds
Flax seeds

Instructions
For the chocolate version, heat 1 cup of the water in the microwave, 1 minute. Slowly mix the cocoa in the water to pre-dissolve it. 
Combine all ingredients in the slower cooker. Stir.
Set the slow-cooker to low. Cook about 6 hours.

Note: I plug the power cord into a timer set to turn on around 2 am and off around 7 am.

Popular posts from this blog

Zucchini Mushroom Quiche with Red Pepper Relish

Blood Orange Chocolate Olive Oil Cake

Za’atar Roasted Tofu with Chickpeas, Tomatoes and Tahini